Here’s a curious article from Highways and Byways of Leicestershire:
“near the old St Paul’s Church schoolroom is a beautiful Early English gateway, which is all that remains of Brasenose College. ..Violent town and gown quarrels resulting even in murders, at Oxford, in 1260, had caused several students to migrate to Northampton, where Henry III directed the mayor to give them every accommodation; but in 1266, probably for reasons connected with civil strife, the license was evoked, and, whilst man returned to oxford, many preferred to go further ad so came to Stamford, a place known to be well supplied with halls and requisites for learning. Here they were joined in 1333 by a further body of Oxford men who were involved in a dispute between the northern and southern scholars, the former complaining that they were unjustly excluded from Merton College fellowships, The Durham monastery took their side and doubtless offered the shelter at their priory of St Leonard’s, Stamford. Then, as other bodies of University seceders kept joining them, they thought seriously of setting up a University and petitioned King Edward III to be allowed to remain under his protection at Stamford. But the Universities petitioned against them, and the King ordered the Sheriff of Lincolnshire to turn them out, promising them redress when they were back at Oxford. Those who refused were [unshed by confiscation of goods and fines, and the two universities passed Statutes imposing an oath on all freshmen that they would not read or attend lectures at Stamford.