Just outside the houses of Parliament in London is this ornate Gothic drinking fountain for humans and dogs. It was built in 1835 by Charles Buxton, MP in commemoration of the passing of the Emancipation of Slaves in British colonies the previous year. It is also in memory of his father Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, and his colleagues such as William Wilberforce, Thomas Clarkson, Macaulay, Brougham, Dr Lushington and others. It has not aged very well, as its roof is timber clad in enamelled sheet metal, and many other materials, such as granite, terracotta, sandstone, iron, and others, which degrade in different ways and rates. It was repaired to commemorate the centenary of the abolition, and again for the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade in 2007. A drinking fountain may seem to be an odd way to commemorate such an event, but the same people were involved in the campaign for clean drinking water, following the arrival of cholera in Britain in 1832 which killed so many people, especially the poor, so there were clear historical and personal links between the two.